Tuesday 3 May 2016

# an ember in the ashes # blogger

Erena Reviews: April & May TBR

Hello friends,

How we all doing? I'm definitely feeling much better after passing all my mid semester exams for uni as I was honestly struggling! I've started taking books to uni so when I have the time I'm able to read, even if it is for ten minutes... You take what you can get sometimes.
I read a total of four books this month which makes me happy considering I only read two last month (let's hope that doesn't happen again!) And they were definitely are good four! Read on book lovers...




BOOKS

1. End of Days - Susan Ee
The final book of the Angelfall trilogy was not a let down. Having Raffe back in my life (sorry, Penryn's life) made my heart beat a little faster! Whilst you may think the previous two books were pretty full on, this one was super intense with a lot more action and deaths and crazy humans & angels alike. I found the trilogy to be very easy to read and it's definitely not too long so if you're interested, check out the first one. 5/5


2. We Were Liars - E. Lockhart
Talk about pulling on the heartstrings, ripping them off completely and throwing them out to sea. I bought this one early April when I was felt like spending money (not always the best idea as a full time student) and I picked it up to read pretty quickly mainly because it was small and I didn't have a whole heap of time to read. I started reading this while waiting for the tram to university or back home, or if I was waiting for a lecture to start and I was completely hooked. This book has short chapters - this may appeal to some (it does to me!) which I feel makes it much easier to read. This is about four cousins/friends whom spend the summers together on their families island when an accident happens and Cadence (the main character) starts to feel separated from the others. I could feel some emotion coming on, but dear god I didn't see that twist. This story is very easy to read and I would recommend to many - especially those who have trouble keeping up with a book. If you're in Australia - $9 at Kmart! 5/5


 3. Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard
Following on from Red Queen comes Glass Sword, book #2 in the series. After racing through Red Queen last year and absolutely loving it, my first initial thought when picking up Glass Sword was that I didn't like the way it looked - stupid I know. I didn't start reading straight away and when I eventually picked it up, it took me a long while to get into it. Eventually I kept reading and found myself really enjoying it, so if you're finding it hard - hang in there!
Some people haven't liked Mare's character development however, I'm half and half; there are parts where she just annoyed me and made me really dislike her and then times when I felt I would do some of the same things - though I don't think I'll be developing lightning powers any time soon.
Despite Maven being the douchebag he is, I still a have a soft spot for him. And then I love Cal too, I don't really like Kilorn though - sorry!
All in all, a somewhat enjoyable read for me. I'd say... a low 4/5


4. An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir
Holy heck. This has definitely been one of my fave reads of the year so far. You get both main characters views (which I love!); Laia is a slave and Elias is a soldier. *How do you pronounce Laia? I say it like "liar" Tell me!* I pretty much fell in love with Elias straight away. This book had all the feels for all the characters - love, hate and "what the eff are you thinking?!" It's not a heartbreaking story but I fell so in love with this book that it kind of feels like I have no soul now (because I have to wait for book two). An Ember in the Ashes is kind of 'an ember in the ashes', this book will not disappoint. Can I give 6/5 ?


MAY TBR

1. The Yearbook Committee - Sarah Ayoub
2. Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling (I already began my reread last month and didn't finish - oops!)
3. Cinder - Marissa Meyer
4. Demon Road - Derek Landy


I would love to also read A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas (book two after A Court of Thorns and Roses) and The Crown by Kiera Cass (book five and final in The Selection series) which were both released today (May 3rd). I'm making myself read my May TBR first and be on top of my uni work before I get these books though (excellent motivation I think!)


And that is the end of this ride today my friends. I've got full reviews coming up for a few books, hopefully soon! I'm thinking of doing a quick little April book haul for you later this week too. Until then, happy reading!

x


Where you can find me:

Contact: erenabennett@hotmail.com
Bookstagram: @erenareads
Instagram: @erena_b
Goodreads: @erenareads


Follow me with Bloglovin'!


No comments:

Post a Comment